Understanding Light Therapy
Have you heard of Light Therapy? What would you think of a treatment that could dramatically improve your skin with no downtime and no pain? It may sound too good to be true, but it’s a reality at Titan Medical Aesthetics.
• What is Light Therapy? Originally developed by NASA for plant growth experiments in space, LED Light Therapy is now used for wound treatment as well as skincare. This light emitting diode therapy treats skin using varying wavelengths of light, including red and blue. Red acts on skin cells called fibroblasts, which play a role in collagen production, so they can help reduce the signs of aging. Blue LED light reduces activity in the sebaceous glands and kills bacteria, so it’s used to fight acne. It helps to clear existing breakouts, and heal and sooth the skin. For more effective acne treatment, red light is employed as well, to decrease inflammation.
• Which Light Therapy options do you offer? To treat acne and the signs of aging, we utilize two types of Light Therapy devices. The first, the Celluma PRO, treats acne, pain, and aging skin. Stand-free, hands-free, and portable, it is ideally sized for the face, but can also be used on other parts of the body. We also use LightStim ProPanel Lights, which offer hands-free operation and are fully programmable, to allow your aesthetician to offer you other services while you’re undergoing Light Therapy.
• Is Light Therapy safe? Yes, the American Academy of Dermatology says that Light Therapy is safe. Because LEDs don’t contain ultraviolet rays, they’re safe for regular use. Light Therapy doesn’t cause burns like some other anti-aging treatments do, and it’s safe for all skin types and colors. Side effects can include inflammation, redness, and rashes, but these are very rare.
• What should I expect from Light Therapy treatments? During Light Therapy treatments, patients are asked to lie down or sit comfortably under the lights, and sometimes have the device applied to different parts of the skin. Each session takes from 10 to 30 minutes and is customizable to the individual needs of the client. The treatment is noninvasive, so you can go about your day as usual once you’re done.
• How do I schedule the Light Therapy session? You can schedule the Light Therapy session as a stand-alone appointment or to add it to your other services when you come to the office. Red light is found to help with product absorption.
• Is there a way to get these kinds of results at home? We offer the Light Stim for Acne, a handheld device you can use at home to treat mild to moderate acne and restore a healthy appearance to your skin. Call our office 978-355-7280 to get more information on how to purchase the device.
At Titan Medical Aesthetics, we provide effective treatments for the face, skin, and body. Led by double board-certified physician Dr. Guy Navarra, our team is committed to providing an attentive and personalized medical experience for each patient, regardless of age or concerns. We work hard to ensure that each of our valued clients are heard and understood, and we help them meet a wide range of aesthetic goals, from anti-aging to figure-slimming. Call us at 978.355.7280 or contact us through our website to schedule a consultation.